Saturday, November 14, 2009

An Ecology/Economy Friendly Christmas




Have your self a Merry little Christmas, but let's make it an Ecology and Economy friendly Christmas too. I'm going to outline a few of the ways I will be doing this, but first I need to get out the American 'bad' word,...LESS. Don't blow me off and stop reading or think I'm judging you, I'm not. Less is different for everyone, some only buy for their immediate family and some want to buy for everyone they know and that's fine if your budget allows it. I'm just challenging you to think about the gifts your kids got last year that broke after 1 day or were never played with, or the microwave egg poacher you bought your father-in-law just because it was on sale. I proudly boasted last year that I(this is a we, but I do all the Christmas shopping for my family) spent a whopping $300 on all Christmas gifts last year verses the about $2000 the year before. I think as a country we let the large retailers know that we don't need as much stuff, they aren't stocking their shelves as full this year. But don't let this scare you and go out to buy the newest thing out this year as fast as you can. Lets not play their 'economy bubble' game anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-American Economy, I know that Black Friday in some ways keeps our economy afloat. But isn't it about time that we stop letting the fat cats on wall st use our credit to float the country's economy. Credit is just what it is, imaginary money in the hopes that it will some day cash in(for who though???) . It only seems logical to me that we are building our 'house' on a fisade that will eventually bust just like the housing market did. I may have to suffer thru it, but I don't want to be a part of that. Maybe this should be a reflecting time that manufacturers can take to starting looking at what we really need; safer, more sustainable, more reliable toys/products with less lead, aluminum and plastics without PVC's and PP's and for heavens sake AMERICAN MADE.

Ok, sorry. Very tall soap box. Hope I didn't loss ya there or lose the mood of the blog, which was supposed to be fun. On to some helpful tips.

#1 Give something a second chance to be a gift. My favorites are thrift stores and garage sales. You would be amazed at the spectacular finds; some never opened, some a diamonds in the rough, some vintage treasures and lots of entertainment. My sister(shout out to the best sister in the world) and I made a pact not to buy anything for each other that can't be hand made or bardered for and I think I'll be extending that to my whole list. Children's items are a little more tricky, I suggest only buying toys made in the last few years or purchasing a simple lead test kit. They are pretty easy to find online, usually a kits of 50-100 test strips is fairly reasonable., $10 I think or go in with a few families. Another great place for large ticket items like DS's, wii games, AVTs, ect is Craigslist. Although you have to be cautious in many ways shopping on craigslist, there are countless benefits; the cost is less, you may even be able to trade for something you don't need and things that might have been discarded are reused(100's of thousands of pounds of toys in up in landfills every year)
#2 I know you've heard this one, but make something. And you can even make things that are useful. I've noticed that my kids get lots of things they like, but what they do the most is crafts and hands-on-projects. So I'm embracing that. I'm going to prepare crafting kits for gifts that aren't marked up or have a lot of unnecessary packaging. They will also be receiving a homemade paper maker(shhh-don't tell them) made by daddy, Toy'R'Us sells one, but it is made of plastic and will probley break. And I'll probley get to use their homemade recycled paper *score*, yippeeee!!!! The kids are going to be giving a hand made solar oven to daddy, that they learn to make at a community class. Look around your house for something that inspires you, do some research http://www.instructables.com/ is awsome. Have fun.
#3 If you can't find it or make it, see who can. Crafters don't use unfair trade practices or unsafe work conditions(I hope) and tend to use eco-friendly packaging or none at all. I am especially watchful for things made with organic/natural materials, I have seen some beautifully fun looking baby toys made with sustainable woods like bamboo. In fact a great gift for new parents this year is a EcoChic KozyKeeping sling...wink wink. But really my favorite online shopping site is http://www.etsy.com/ or start hitting the local craft fairs, this is the season. Go, shop, have fun, but if you please always ponder the sustainablitiy of what you are buying, for we are called to be good stewads of this world.
Have a fun, love filled holiday season. Merry Christmas and God bless to all.