Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Upcycle Tuesday



In an effort to get in a 'blogging' routine I'm declaring Tuesday, Upcycle day. In my own mind I am already behind, because I actually was going to write this for last Upcyle Thursday. That's ok, I'm going to try very hard to be consistent. This is a piece that I made and was using as a display at my shows, a few months ago I was rearanging my stuff in my car with a women approach and offered to buy the bench from me for her children's photographic studio. I couldn't refuse the flattering offer and snapped a pic real quick before she came back with her wallet.
Upcycled pieces will be things selected from around my house, garage sales, free stuff on craigslist or the ever popular for my kids as they move into the 'tween' age-trash from our neighbors curbs. I like reusing old items, because they usually take the place of something you would have bought new at the store. And it keeps perfectly functional junk out of our landfills. In an always growing endeavor to be gentle to the enviroment around my family, I will be using the most eco-friendly materials at my expense. Paint has defiendently been my stumbling block. This is a link http://www.mbm.net.au/health/paint.html that I found valuable when I started studying what paints to use in/out of my house. Paints free of VOC's are very expensive, so I am slowing growing my library by watching out for 'Oops' paint in my local hardware and paint stores. When I need to use a paint that isn't VOC-free, I use the closest alternative. Water-based paints, Alkyd-based paints and latex paints emit less fumes. VOC fumes are not just something you can worry about when the paint is wet and drying, they contiue to let off toxins for the life of the piece it was painted on. I am very excited about the budding demand for Milk Paints and Natural Paints made of citric and other plant oils. I always use low POC sealant and when I can tung oil.

Things I usually upcycle come from from my attic, garage sales, craigslist, my recycling bin or the dreaded-my neighbors trash at the curb. This really embarrasses my kids, but people throw out some cool stuff, and I just tell my kids to duck. This weeks piece is a cute little stool my mom found at a garage sale, she always has a good eye for nice solid pieces. Who doesn't need another stool, I have one for almost every room. And I'm listing it on craigslist and maybe my website if I get a chance. So if your interested in it message me.
Things I used:
solid wooden stool
sand paper
chosen paint
brush
Elmer's or wood glue
razor blade
decorative paper
chosen clear coat

First things first, rough it up a bite with some sand paper so the paint will stick to it. Then paint all but top of stool. Then turn the stool upside down centered on your coordinating decorative paper. I have used all kinds of paper for this technique. I make my own with recycled boxes, newspaper, cards, etc; there is a neat paper that I found at Office Max that is made out of banana peel(how fun). But for this project I just used scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby. Trace around the top of your subject, then carefully cut with razor blade on traced line. I cut mine on a 'quilting board' but cardboard or scrap wood would work great. When the paper is perfect spread a thin even layer of glue, I sometime use a ruler or straight edge to get really even coat. Be careful to lay paper gently starting from the center and working out bubbles as you go. The paper is very delicate after it becomes wet with glue and doesn't have a lot of give. Even though I am always anxious for the final product this step should be allow to dry at least 3-4 hours and then evenly cover with your top coat or wax. You are then left with a cute stool that everyone will think you got from a boutique or interior design store. **I would like to note, that if the writing feels flat it is due to the fact that my auto save was malfunctioning and I have written this blog about 4 times, I got a little bored and frustrated with it after some time. Thank you for noting that;-)**