Thursday, March 11, 2010

Carrier Recalls

As most of you know our family doesn't watch tv, so sometimes I'm a little slow to new news. I'm responding to the very sad recall of Infantino baby carrier call "Sling Rider". Here is an article about the recall: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/188439/infantino_recalls_100000_slingrider.html?cat=46. If you are using one of these, please discontinue use immediately. These are not to be confused with one piece carriers that are fondly referred to as Slings or pouch slings. The first time I saw these things my mom and I laughed at them, because it looks like the mother is carrying around an accessory. I now am sorry I laughed because little babies were injured. I don't believe makers of this carrier are babywearing lovers, they just wanted to appeal to a trendy fade. I'm so sorry to baby caregiver that were misinformed. When I look at these type carrier and others like them I think they go against everything that I tell parents that a carrier should feel like in a fit. Baby should always be in a hold that you would naturally hold them in if the carrier wasn't present(with exception to a back carry). The carriers that have been recalled have the baby places at the wearers low hip like a purse and no one would carry an infant there. Also, and what I stress the most is baby should be snug, close to body and your should be able to see the baby's face easily at all times. I like mine so snug that I can kiss my baby's head at all times. I hope this debunks many misunderstanding of the safety of carriers. If it doesn't feel right it probley isn't right. Do your research before you buy. Even if you are buying from a homemade maker read their reviews, understand the type of carrier it is and then inspect the work. Slings should always be sewn with a triple french seam and made with a sturdy fabric. Please message or comment with any questions or concerns about your carrier or babywearing.